Pages

November 9 1812: Byron Receives an Irish Epistle




On November 9, 1812, Lord Byron writes again to Lady Melbourne about the perennial problem that is Lady Caroline Lamb, who has written "another Irish epistle, foolish, headstrong, & vainly threatening herself." Byron ends the letter by writing that he has now found someone who will give him a quiet love that is the very opposite of the "ridiculous display of last season" with Caroline. Lady Melbourne knows he is referring to Lady Oxford. He writes "I cannot exist without some object of love – I have found one with whom I am perfectly satisfied, & who as far as I can judge is no less so with me; our mutual wish is quiet – & for this reason I find a double pleasure (after all the ridiculous display of last season) in repose; I have engaged myself too far to recede, nor do I regret it – are you at least satisfied with what I have done to comply with your wishes if Ly. B. is not? If Ly. C. wishes any interview pray explain for me that I will not meet her, if she has either pride or feeling this will be sufficient – all letters &c. &c. may be easily destroyed without it".

Byron's letter is reproduced below.


Byron to Lady Melbourne, from Eywood, November 9th 1812:

My dear Ly. M. – With yr. letter I have received an Irish epistle, foolish, headstrong, & vainly threatening herself &c. &c. To this I shall return no answer; & though it is of very great importance to me to be in London at this time, I shall if possible delay it till I hear from you that there is no chance of any scenes. –


Mr. D. could hardly avoid guessing but too correctly, for not a servant in the house but was afraid to awaken me, & he was called home from a club for that purpose, his first & natural question to the man was whence he came from whom & why, the answer to all which is obvious, but D. ought not to have mentioned it & so I shall tell him. – – Why he placed me in Notts at this moment I cannot say, except that he knew no better. – Mr. C. may repent of his bargain for aught I know to the contrary, but he has paid part of the money. – If he fails – the Law will decide between us; & if he acts in an ungentlemanly manner, the remedy is still more simple. – – 

With regard to Ly. B. & Ly. C. – I have little more to say and I hope nothing to do. – – She has hurt & disgusted me by her latter conduct beyond expression; & if even if I did not love another, I would never speak to her again while I existed, & this you have my full consent to state to those whom it may concern. – I have passed my time since her departure always quietly & partly delightfully, nor will I submit to caprice & injustice. – This was to be broken off, it is broken off; I had neither the hope nor the inclination to satisfy Ly. B. on all points; if it is unfair to comply with her own express wishes, – let her complain till she is tired, but I trust a little reflection will convince even her that she is wrong to be dissatisfied. – – C. threatens to revenge herself upon herself, by all kinds of perverseness; – this is her concern – all I desire is to have nothing more to do with them – no explanations – no interviews – in short I neither can nor will bear it any longer. – As long as there was a necessity for supporting her I did not shrink from any consequences, but when all was adjusted – & you agreed to overlook the past in the hope of the future; my resolution was taken & to that I have adhered & will adhere. – –

I cannot exist without some object of love – I have found one with whom I am perfectly satisfied, & who as far as I can judge is no less so with me; our mutual wish is quiet – & for this reason I find a double pleasure (after all the ridiculous display of last season) in repose; I have engaged myself too far to recede, nor do I regret it – are you at least satisfied with what I have done to comply with your wishes if Ly. B. is not? If Ly. C. wishes any interview pray explain for me that I will not meet her, if she has either pride or feeling this will be sufficient – all letters &c. &c. may be easily destroyed without it.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for doing this. The mix of news from America, Russian and London is almost too much. What will you be doing in 2013?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I agree it is too much. However, the range of areas does allow me to post something for everyday of the year. In 2013, I think that I will be concentrating on the twitter feed. The blog posts are taking too long to prepare since I have been writing at least one post on each day over the last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling! I seem to agonize over my posts! Looking at my earlier comment, I think that an exclamation mark would have helped. I love my Tolstoy, my Thackeray and my north American politics; all of it in one go is almost too much! Again, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete