Pages

Feb 23 1812: Aaron Burr

For February 23, 1812, Aaron Burr in London wrote the following entry in his private journal:   
23.      Couche at 1, but did not sleep till 3; cause, took my coffee too late and too strong. Having offered Elizabeth, my little menagere 1, 6 pence to wake me and have a fire at 1/2 6, she was punctual. I rose and had my breakfast at 1/2 p. 7 ; and at 9 was at Contesse's workshop. He has been for six weeks promising to do a small but necessary job to my repeater; and he appointed this hour and this day. He was not there. Waited near an hour; he came not. Went to his house at 10, found him just up and complaining of indisposition. Appointed 2 P.M. to-morrow. Then to________'s, another goldsmith, with whom had an appointment on similar business. He was still abed. To Dumont's, Haymarket. He had informed me that Lord Lansdowne would give 10 guineas for my Bayle, and would also, probably, buy Moreri at 15. I thought this quite sure; but Mr. D. informed me that his lordship had been otherwise supplied. Your ribbons, too, have been returned, not sold. The medalmonger would pay for Gampillo's medals and coins little more than the value of the metal, which would not be 3 guineas. So my three grand resources have failed. Walked over to Graves's. Had nothing to communicate. Home, and wrote another letter to the Captain, proposing that he should take me on board at Gravesend, and under a feigned name, so that the consuls would not know that I had embarked. Do not think he will do it, and am sure he will not pay, all of which is "very disagreeable" There being no mail going out to-day, went to the stage-office to send my letter to the Captain. Theman would not receive it because it weighed less than four ounces. Went and hunted in the street till I found a stone weighing about a quarter of a pound ;wrapped that up in the letter, and then it was received. The Captain will greatly marvel at the receipt of the stone sent from London. At 1/2 p. 3 to Godwin's. There dined and staid till 9. The history of M. Turner, fils c Tun bucket', lately married to M'lle Boinville, niece de 1 Madame Frank Newton. There was only the family and little Hopwood. Have been reading the newspapers and the pamphlets which I bought on the controversy between Lancaster and Bell, which you shall read, to see the gross bigotry which still prevails here.


No comments:

Post a Comment