Pages

Feb 29 1812: Aaron Burr

For February 29, 1812, Aaron Burr in London wrote the following entry in his private journal:  
29.      After writing to you last evening I found on my table a note from D.M.R. The most desponding you can imagine. I was really apprehensive that he would blow out his own brains before I could see him to forbid him. Was just setting out on this pious errand at 10, when in came Castella and sat an hour. I was very glad to see him. We walked together to Covent Garden, where lives D.M.R. I found him better dressed than usual, and apparently in good spirits. After writing the note to me yesterday, he had met a gentleman of fortune who listened to his disclosure of his new principles of wheel carriages, and who, says D.M.R., "was delighted" with them, and is to call on me to learn more of it in a few days. I was greatly relieved to find his nerves in so good order, and went on to Dessaules's, who had fitted the dent. I went on with it to Bonnell, the enameller. He is to make an essay on Monday. Then called on Contresse to get him to alter his work a little. He was very surly, and said he was too busy, and should be too busy tomorrow. Then to J. Bentham's. There was nothing for me. Did not see him, but met there his beautiful little nephew, 11 years old, son of Sir Samuel; did not sit down, but back to Graves's; all out. To Joyce's, watchmaker, Lombard street, with whom left your picturewatch  to be regulated and to get a key; half a guinea! Having only 18 pence I begged him to charge it till the other watch was done (a silver repeater, intended for Harry, but will probably be the only one I shall have for myself). Hastened home lest I should not be in time to receive J.H., who engaged to call at 4 to take coffee with me, &c. Got home at 4, and J. H. came in a few minutes. We had our coffee, which was my dinner, and J. staid till 6. At 7 came in, also by appointment, and staid till 9. I walked with her to her door, and came quickly home, and am now going to occupy myself in filing and assorting papers. Have left in cash 1 halfpence, which is much better than one penny, because they jingle, and thus one may refresh one's self with the music. Called today for the ringwatch; not done. Am to have it on Monday, and shall employ Mr. G. to sell it. After weighing the subject very gravely, I think you would prefer that this beautiful trinket, rather than Bayle and Moreri, should be sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment