Pages

September 5 1812: Byron at Cheltenham


On September 5,  1812, Lord Byron writes from Cheltenham to his publisher John Murray to request copies of the Edinburgh Review and an advance copy of Sir Walter Scott's poem Rokeby. Byron also asks Murray to let George Thomson, the Scottish  music publisher,  know that he would be "truly  happy to comply with his request". Thomson was collector of folk songs, who then commissioned Haydn and later Beethoven to provide new arrangements for these songs. Thomson would also get contemporary poets, such as Byron, to provide lyrics. 

Byron also appears to be responding to an inquiry from Murray on whether he had any new poems. Byron quips in response: 
I am so so – but my thermometer is sadly below the poetical point. What will you give me or mine for a poem of 6 Cantos (when complete no rhyme – no recompence) as like the last 2 as I can make them? – I have some ideas which one day may be embodied & till winter I shall have much leisure.
Byron's letter is reproduced below.

Byron to Murray, from Cheltenham, September 5th 1812:

High Street. Cheltenham
Sept 5th, 1812

Dear Sir,
Pray have the goodness to send these dispatches & a N. of the E R with the rest. – I hope you
have written to Mr. Thompson,  <&> thanked him in my name for his present & told him that I shall be truly happy to comply with his request. – How do you go on? & when is the graven image “with bays & wicked rhyme upon’t”  to grace or disgrace some of our tardy editions. – Send me “Rokeby” who the deuce is he? no matter – he has good connections, & will be well introduced. – I thank you for your enquiries,  I am so so – but my thermometer is sadly below the poetical point. What will you give me or mine for a poem of 6 Cantos (when complete no rhyme – no recompence) as like the last 2 as I can make them? – – I have some ideas which one day may be embodied & till winter I shall have much leisure. – Believe me:  yrs  very sincerely
Byron

P.S. My last question is in the true style of GrubStreet, but like Jeremy Diddler I only “ask for information”  Send me Adair on Diet & regimen just republished by Ridgway

No comments:

Post a Comment