Pages

October 24 1812: Byron onto Eywood and Lady Oxford

On October 24, 1812, Lord Byron goes to Eywood, to visit Lord and Lady Oxford at their Hereforedshire estate. Byron is having an affair with Lady Oxford. Lord Oxford appears to have accepted the affair. On this day, Byron writes to Lady Melbourne to advise her of his trip. He disguises the destination in the first line of his letter in case Lady Caroline Lamb finds his letter. It is clear that fear of Caroline still preoccupies Byron.

Byron's letter is reproduced below.


Byron to Lady Melbourne, from Cheltenham, October 24th 1812:
Octr. 24th. 1812

My dear Ly. M. – I am just setting off through detestable roads for [Eywood]

You can make such use of the incident of our acquaintance as you please with C- only do not say that I am there because she will probably write or do some absurd thing in that quarter which will spoil every thing, & I think there are enough of persons embroiled already without the addition of —— who has besides enough to manage already without these additions. – This I know also to be her wish, & certainly it is mine. – You may say that we met at C– or elsewhere anything but that we are now together. – – By all means confide in Ly. “Blarney” or – the Morning Post, seriously if anything requires a little hyperbole, let her have it – I have left off writing entirely & will have nothing more to do with it. – – “If you write anything to me” she is sure to have it! – how? – I have not written these two months – but twice – nor was your name mentioned in either. – The last was entirely about Ld. Clare between whom & me she has been intermeddling & conveying notes from Ly. Ce  on the subject of a foolish difference between Clare & myself, in which I believe I am wrong as usual. – But that is over. – Her last letters to me are full of complaints against you for I know not what disrespectful expressions about the “letter opened” &c. &c.– I have not answered them nor shall. –

They talk of going to Sicily, on that head I have nothing to say, you & Mr. L. are the best judges, to me it must be a matter of perfect indifference; & though I am written to professedly to be consulted on the subject what possible answer could I give that would not be impertinent? – – It would be the best place for her & the worst for him (in all points of view) on earth, unless he was in some official capacity. – As I have said before do as you will – in my next I will answer your questions as to the persons you speak of at present I have not time though I am tempted by the theme. – As to A– that must take its’ chance, I mean the acquaintance, for it never will be anything more – depend upon it – even if she revoked – I have still the same opinion – but I never was enamoured – & as I very soon shall be in some other quarter – cosi finiva. – Do not fear about C. even if we meet – but allow me to keep out of the way if I can merely for the sake of peace & quietness. – – You never were more groundlessly alarmed, for I am not what you imagine, in one respect; I have gone through the experiment before, more than once, & I never was separated three months without a perfect cure, even though ye. acquaintance was renewed. – – I have even stood as much violence as could be brought into the field on ye. present occasion. – In the first vol. of Marmontel’s memoirs towards the end you will find my opinion on the subject of women in general in the mouth of Madame de Tencin  – should you deign to think it worth a moment’s notice. – ever yrs  most affectionately

B.

P.S. – If you write to Cheltenham my letters will be forwarded. – And do write – I have very few correspondents, & none but this which give me much pleasur

No comments:

Post a Comment