Pages

Feb 22, 1812: Aaron Burr

For  February 22, 1812, Aaron Burr in London wrote the following entry in his private journal:   
22. A bad, bad, day. My hopes of being soon in New Orleans, or elsewhere in the United States, have vanished. A letter this day received from the Captain says that he has been warned at his peril, by the consul at Yarmouth, too, (Mr. Williams), not to take me on board, and that he is afraid, and must refuse me a passage. I have so little confidence in the Captain's veracity that no conclusion can be formed as to the truth of his statement. No doubt, however, but Williams has interfered; but that inference may possibly have been prompted by the Captain himself, or by J. S. Russell, who is full of malevolence, and, being now charge d'affaires here, may, perhaps, be the author of it all. Yet how it has been produced is to me of no consequence; me void sans sous et sans ami. Did I tell you, I think not, that four or five days ago, having heard from Dumont that Achaud was in town, I called on him (A.), left my card and also a very civil note of apology for not having called sooner, having understood that he was at Geneva. He has neither returned the visit nor answered the note. But let us go regularly and chronologically through the day. I had intended to have breakfasted at J. B.'s, for the purpose of taking the retorts early to friend Allen; but in the first place I slept till 9, and in the next it rained in torrents and you know my umbrella is on a voyage. At 1 1 the rain slackened and I sallied out of my den. To Bonnell's, the enameller. He had made the repairs and charged 2 shillings and 6 pence. Then to J. B.'s. He came down and told me the retorts were not his, but his brother's, and he dare not lend them without consulting his brother, which I begged him not to do; for that, if they were not his, I would not take them. Found there a letter from Lord Balgray, saying that he and the Lord Chief Justice President had talked over my concerns, and had agreed to send an extract of my letter to Lord Melville, and at same time to tell him what a clever fellow I was. It is possible that, in politeness to these gentlemen, Lord Melville may invite me to call on him, and there the matter will end. Round by Westminster and Blackfriars' Bridges to Graves's. The rain setting in again, bought me the cheapest umbrella I could find that was large enough. Cost 10 shillings and 6 pence. At Graves's found an old letter from Gahn, which Graves had overlooked, and also this letter from the Captain. Intended to have gone to friend Allen's, but thought necessary to come home and reply immediately to the Captain, demanding my passage money. Found D. M. R. in possession of my room, with a fire. He wanted me to help him to reply to Gilpin, which agreed to do, and have done this evening. When at J. B.'s this morning, lent him the Boston paper which he was to send to me at 4 this day. But the paper not having come at 7, took that long walk, full three miles, and returning makes six, to get the paper. Got it, but did not see J. B., he being engaged. Dinner, rice and milk, and have had my coffee and a smoked herring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment