Pages

Feb 25 1812: Aaron Burr

For February 25, 1812, Aaron Burr in London wrote the following entry in his private journal:   
25.  Rose as usual. Raining and blowing violently. At 12 to friend Allen's. The experiment had not yet been made; but Jones, the workman in the laboratory, was just preparing to make it. To Joyce's, a watchmaker recommended by Allen. Left with him yesterday my silver repeater to be put in order that I may sell it ; but I could not learn from Mr. J. what he meant to charge me, and now cannot call for it till I shall have wherewithal to pay for the repairs. To Graves's, where found a letter from the Captain; a most impertinent letter, declaring that he will not pay a farthing. To Godwin's for a few minutes, and borrowed two volumes of " The Nairs, or the Rights of Women," by Lawrence. And now must tell what was referred to yesterday. I was so with Fonzi at Paris that I became as good a dentist as himself; and, on coming off, he confided to me an assortment, perhaps one thousand, of teeth of his fabrique. I had intended this for Greenwood; but it occurred to me that something might be made of the dents 1 and my science here. Have called on three of the most celebrated dentists. The first was engaged, and was not seen ; the second was engaged, but I saw him, and made an appointment to call Saturday next. The third I had a long talk with ; he showed me his ovmfafoique*, which I was constrained to acknowledge was fully equal to Fonzi's ; and, indeed, I think, for beauty, superior, but not solid; he, however, held Fonzi's in contempt, so nothing to be done. To-morrow will make further trial. It is unpleasant and unpromising. The rain has continued all day, which has prevented J. H. from calling. D. M. came in at 5 in a state of extreme despondency. He ate bro.* and case. 5 , and took coffee, and staid till 8. I have been all the evening reading the " Nairs." 6 The fellow has stolen a good many of my ideas, but I am glad of it. The subject will always be new in my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment