Pages

March 6 1812: Aaron Burr

For March 6, 1812, Aaron Burr in London wrote the following entry in his private journal:  
[March , 1812]  6. To Graves's and pledged a part of Gampillo's coins and medals for 5 pounds, which sum I actually received; so it is to the boy at least that I am indebted for this temporary relief. The little rascal, I did not think he was so rich. These were pledged at or near the value of the silver only, and it is not half his store, so that the real value of the metal of his little treasure must be more than $50. Observe, they are not sold, but only pledged. Then to J.B.'s, where found a great packet of papers from R. Morris about E.A.C.'s affairs. Got some things out of my trunk there for sale, viz., half a piece of cambric, which I had sealed up for you, and resolved to keep through thick and thin; but everything visible must go, or I shall lose the opportunity of this ship; and, as every day's delay diminishes my means, the longer I stay the less likely am I to ever get out.
To Dessaules's, who had done both the pieces which I left with him, for which and the former work, paid him 20 shillings, which I thought very moderate. Then to Humbert's to get the ring-watch. Met J.H., who gave me the thing, but nothing done to it and the glass broken, which will be difficult to repair even here. I was exceedingly vexed that the fellow should have kept the thing five weeks, given me so much trouble, made so many promises, and finally returned your beautiful little jewel in ruins, and without apology. I said he must be a great rascal to serve me so. Hum. was in the adjoining room and listening. He burst into the room where we were in a rage, said it was his friend, a man of honor; and accabled me with a volley of the grossest and most vulgar abuse. I smiled and made no reply; but without altering my tone or manner, addressed something to J.; but poor J. burst into tears, and could neither speak nor hear. This rage of Hum. has, I fear, some other source than what happened on this
particular occasion, and I greatly fear that it will be vented on J.; and I can't tell you how unhappy this reflection has made me. Called at Gonin's; out, though he had appointed that hour. Walked on homeward, but took Godwin's in on my way, as well to hear from J. as to see about the sale of Bayle and Moreri. He thinks he can get 20 guineas for them. Home at 2. After smoking an hour and dressing, to Madame Thorpe's to dine. Mr. C B. Wyatt, a sensible, sprightly young man, son or nephew of the celebrated architect, and the family, were the party. I was engrossed by the concern of  poor J., and, of course, bad company. Staid till 9, and got home at 10. Found a good fire. My little menagere is punctual as the sun. Have not paid my bill, to avoid giving the affair an air of consequence. I ought to finish my letter to Captain J. to-night; but the position of poor J. occupies me, and unfits me for everything. Not being able to speak a sentence of English, having no friend or acquaintance but this brutal beau frere) she will be robbed of all the avails of her industry, for she is confiding and unsuspicious as an infant, and will otherwise be made as unhappy as authority and malevolence can make her. On such occasions I feel the sorrows of poverty. I was totally mistaken about that John Edward Browne. He is not the late Governor of Sierra Leone, nor an Irishman, but an adventurer of about 25, Anglois educated in the navy, and of equivocal character. Am going to bed at 1/2 p. 12.




No comments:

Post a Comment