Pages

March 7 1812: Aaron Burr

For March 7, 1812, Aaron Burr in London wrote the following entry in his private journal:  


[March, 1812] 7.          At 12 to Graves's, with more medals and coins; a packet full as large as the former, and I have still left to the amount of half that packet. I can't tell you how much I am surprised at this quantity. But Graves had no more money to advance. Got 1 guinea, which will do for Dessaules to-morrow. D.M. R. came in, and we walked a few minutes. Gave him 6 shillings. Called and left your little ring-watch with Joyce. He says the pieces of glass have got inside, and there must be a thorough cleaning; so that this will probably be a guinea job. Home, and took my rice and milk, and then went to Godwin's, where took tea with the children in their room. At 9 to Graves's, where staid till n. Supped on bread, cheese, and a glass of porter.
Home at 1/2 2 p.m. This is the first time of being out so late. At Graves's got a letter from Sheffield, mate of the Vigilant, who says that, on examining the Vigilant, she is found so rotten that he thinks she will be condemned. So that I have not lost much by being refused a passage. Bad, very bad, news from Liverpool. The ship on which I had set my heart has changed her destination, and will neither go to Havana nor to New Orleans. This a grievous disappointment to me, for I had become fascinated with that voyage by Havana to New Orleans. Am now pretty much resolved to get to Liverpool as soon as I shall have the means, and there wait events. There are five chances from Liverpool to one from London. Ought to finish Captain J.'s letter, but am fit for naught this evening but financing and projecting. Already 1/2 p. 1, and shall sit up an hour reading a parcel of newspapers which have brought from Godwin's. Have also made to-day two trips over to Gonin's. At the second, met him in the street. He had my repeater in his pocket, finished, and perfectly well. He would put no price, which is a mode of asking tenfold; which, however, was this time a bad calculation. Gave him 23 shillings, which was very well for two hours' work. He was not tres content 1, but civil. Wished much to give him £5 ; but I have reserved barely enough to pay ma hotesse next Wednesday ; when, for aught that now appears, we shall be again on the sans sous establishment. I hope to-morrow to finish with Dessaules this perpetual vexation. I think I must have walked, within the last thirty months, more than one thousand leagues on that matter. I am horribly afraid of that Joyce. He has a little the ways of a sharper under his Quaker garb.

No comments:

Post a Comment